Types of railcars for railway freight transportation.
– Covered freight cars (universal and specialised) for transportation of various types of cargo: tare-packaging, unit, bulk cargoes. Cargo-carrying capacity is 68-71 tonnes of 4-axle wagons and 120-132 tonnes of 8-axle wagons, volume is 120-138.0 m3. Loading is side loading.
– Isothermal wagons: autonomous refrigerated wagons, refrigerated sections of 5, 12, 21, 23 wagons, thermos wagons. Intended for the carriage of perishable goods, including food, medicines, flowers. Carrying capacity of one independent refrigerator wagon is 43-49 tons and loading volume is 94,5-108,0 m3. The total load capacity of refrigerator sections depends on the number of wagons, for example, 160-200 tons in a 5-car refrigerator section. The diesel generators are located in the end sections of the standalone wagons, while in large rolling stock of 12,21,and 23 wagons the diesel generators for electricity generation are installed in a special wagon. For the cold supply to the refrigerated wagons a brine system is used, using a coolant. The temperature range is -15 to +14С. Loading and unloading is carried out through the side doors.
Characteristics of an isothermal thermo wagon: load-carrying capacity of 50 tonnes, volume – 110-127m3. Used for transportation of frozen and chilled cargoes, as well as thermally processed cargoes: juices, beer, canned goods, margarine, etc.
– Open gondola cars for transportation of bulk cargoes, pipes, timber, lumber. Covered with a tarpaulin or tarpaulin roof. Loading is carried out by special vehicles from the top, unloading – through the hatches in the floor in the case of bulk cargo. Carrying capacity – 71 t., volume – 75,2 m3.
Including, Railway flat wagon with sides – dumpcar (dump wagon) – for the transport of bulk cargo (coal, soil, sand, gravel) with a density of 1.8-1.9 tm2. The length of the car on coupling axes – 13,4m, 14,9m, to 17,6m, width – to 3,5m, body volume – to 70 m³, load capacity: 60-65 tons (4-axle cars), 100-105 tons (6-axle), 145 tons (8-axle). Loading is carried out by excavators with bucket capacity up to 12.5 m2. Automated unloading is carried out due to the tilting body of the wagon, and tilting sides.
– Hoppers and mineral wagons are used for the transport of bulk goods, fertilisers, minerals, grain crops and other bulk goods. There are open and closed hoppers with hatches on the roof. The choice of hopper for transportation is depending on the nature of the cargo. Carrying capacity is 70 tonnes, volume 60-72m3, 81-87m3. Loading and unloading is carried out by special equipment from above.
– Tank wagon is used for transportation of food and non-food liquid cargoes, liquefied gases and powdered materials. There are tank wagons for transportation of oil products, liquefied gas, other chemically active liquid substances, wagons for transportation of water, milk, molasses. The capacity of tank wagons, as a rule, is 60, 120, 125 tons.
Including wagons for transportation of flour (flour wagons) with a body in the form of a tank or bunker. It represents four spherical containers with the capacity of 12,5 tons each, installed on the railway platform. The general load-carrying capacity is 50 tons, the total volume of cargo capacities is 92m3. Flour is loaded into the wagon hoppers through the top hatches and unloaded through the receiving sleeves.
– Transporter cars for transportation of large-sized, including extra-heavy cargoes. Carrying capacity varies depending on the design of the wagon: floor transporters can carry loads from 55 to 220 tons, transporters of well type – 60-120 tons. Super-heavy cargoes weighing 120, 240, 480 tonnes are transported on coupling transporters.
– Flat wagons for the transport of containers, car carriers, flat wagons and pipe wagons for the transport of long goods.
Universal flat wagons are used for transportation of cargoes of different characteristics. The length of the platform is 13.4m and the load capacity is 71t. Platforms are equipped with hinged side and end boards.
Containers and cars are transported on specialized platforms with special equipment for ultra-reliable cargo securing. Carrying capacity – 60-75 tons, platform length from 13-14m to 18-22m.
Including a flat wagon for the transport of pipes and containers with a loading capacity of 59.5, 62, 66 tonnes and with a length of up to 26m. Possibility to transport pipes with a length of 18m.
Platform wagon for the transport of timber with a loading capacity of 67-68t., length – 13,4m.
Fitting Rail Platform for the transportation of large containers. The 40-foot platforms are used for the carriage of two 20-foot or one 40-foot containers (load capacity of 60-75t). 60-foot platforms are used for the carriage of one 20-foot and one 40-foot container (payload capacity of 60-72 tons). There are also 80 foot fitting platforms on which it is possible to transport 2 standard 40 foot containers (load-carrying capacity – 68, 69,5, 72 tons).
Fitting railway platform for the transport of tank containers type IMO1, IMO2, IMO5, payload – 69t, length by axis of coupling hitch – 26.2m.
All loading and unloading operations on flatcars of any type are carried out by professionals using special equipment.
Types and characteristics of containers used in rail freight: .
3-ton container (tare – 600kg, cargo weight – 2400kg, volume – 5.16m3), 5-ton container (tare – 950kg, cargo weight – 4050kg, volume – 10.4m3),
20′ standard container for transportation of small consignments, various raw materials, capacity up to 30.5 tons.
40′ standard container for transportation of light cargoes, articles, semi-finished products, consumer goods, capacity up to 30.5 tonnes.
Isothermal 20- and 40-foot containers for transportation of perishable cargoes, including liquid cargoes. Carrying capacity – 20-28t, volume – 28-60m3.
20-foot tank-container for transportation of liquid chemical and food products, liquefied gases. Capacity from 26000 liters to 14000 liters.
Open Top 20-foot container for transportation of oversized cargoes. Load capacity 21.7t, volume 31.8m3.
The 40-foot Open Top container has a capacity of 26.4 tons and volume of 64 m3.